Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Monday 2 September 2013

Half marathon organizers say no to enthusiast using wheelchair : Guwahati

Guwahati Half Marathon organized by IIT Guwahati recently was supposed to be an all-inclusive event. But Arman Ali, who uses a wheelchair was declined permission to take part in the marathon a day before the event.

Hundreds took part in the marathon themed 'Run for a Better Tomorrow' that was flagged off by film director Rakyesh Om Prakash Mehra, but ironically for the executive director of Shishu Sarothi, a voluntarily organization for those with physical disabilities, it was not his day.


Ali had registered for the 6-km 'Spirit' category of the marathon but was denied permission to take part in the run a day before the event on grounds of his physical disability, non-availability of wheelchair lanes, fear of repercussions from authorities if anything went wrong and 'lack of understanding by the organizers in handling a wheelchair user'.


"It appeared to be an initiative based on the principle of inclusion. I registered on August 20 through a friend who is associated with IIT-G. I gave all details as sought by the organizers and made it clear that I am a person with disability and a wheelchair user and that I would take part in the marathon on my wheelchair just as it happens in other marathon events across the world. Even the Mumbai and Delhi marathons allow participation of wheelchair users," said Ali.


"I chose the 'Spirit 6-Km General Run' as the organizers had announced that this category was open for all. I did not ask for any special arrangement. Immediately after registration, my friend told me that the organizers were excited and asked if I could get more wheelchair users to participate. I was informed that one of the organizers wished to talk to me to understand my condition and ensure my participation in the marathon. When I called the organizer a day before the marathon, my participation was declined because of my disability. I was informed that the organizers did not know how to handle (a) wheelchair user," said Ali.


After being turned down, he informed his friend at IIT-G who then spoke to the organizers. The organizers agreed to Ali's participation but only for a 'symbolic participation' which meant that Ali could be at the start line and get off after 1/2m.

"The issue was not addressed properly. I came to know about it a day after the incident. I will try out to find the person who denied it. He did not belong to the marathon core team. I am planning to meet Ali," said the chief organizer of the marathon, Prateek Gona.

Source : TOI , 2nd September 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment