Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Srinagar to Kanyakumari on one leg! : SRINAGAR


********************************************************
Aditya Mehta is set to cycle 3,800 km, from Srinagar to Kanyakumari, next month to raise funds for amputees to take up sports.
********************************************************




                                 (Srinagar to Kanyakumari…)

*********************************************************************************


Sometimes, a life shattering tragedy can open someone's eyes and make them realise their true character. Eight years ago, Aditya Mehta lost his right leg after being run over by a city bus in an accident. The 31-year-old found redemption in cycling. In just the last 18 months, he's "clocked over 21,000 km." For him, cycling isn't just about tiding over the loss of a limb anymore, but he is also looking to inspire other amputees to take up sporting activities and help overcome their disabilities. And he is doing that by cycling 3,800 km, all the way from Srinagar to Kanyakumari!



Aditya is going to begin his gargantuan cycling expedition from November 7. Admittedly, it was a friend who gave him the idea. "I've been getting calls from amputees from all over the country seeking advice on how to deal with their personal loss. Thankfully, my dad is a businessman and he could support me financially in getting access to expensive prosthetics and the latest medical care. Not every amputee has that cushion. My friend Aravind Chenji suggested that I must start a charitable foundation and raise funds to help amputees who aren't as fortunate as I am," shares Aditya.




The likes of Manohar ( Chairman, Hyderabad Cycling Club) and his father Rama Krishna, are members of the charitable foundation named after him that will raise funds from donors to support this cause. "My dream is to ultimately start a sports academy for the disabled. But that's going to take a lot of funding. So, for now, I want to help as many amputees as I can through such efforts," explains Aditya.



The ride is a daunting one, but Aditya "has been training four hours every day for the last couple of months", and is hoping to finish the ride six days ahead of schedule. "I hope to cycle over 130 km a day on an average and complete the ride in 26 days (excluding four days of rest) itself as opposed to 36-day schedule that is planned," he says.




But that isn't going to be an easy task by any stretch. The 310 km ride from Srinagar to Patni Top is going to be the toughest, where he will be cycling at altitudes of over 5,000 meters above sea level. "I'm going to have to take a lot of ice baths at the end of every day to recover from the saddle sores and swelling. Besides, I have a dedicated team including my doctor, cycle mechanic, and manager, who will be following me on the trail. My prosthetic expert will be joining me at every stop. And I will also be joined by local cycling clubs along the way. So, I will be alright," he signs off.



Source : TOI , 28th October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment