Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Monday 28 October 2013

Wheelchair paddler Bhavina shines in Beijing, wins silver : Ahmedabad

Wheelchair paddler Bhavina Patel did the whole nation proud after she won a silver medal in the women's singles Class 4 Second Stage event of the ITTF PTT Asian Table Tennis regional championships held in Beijing.



With this medal, the special athlete from the Blind People Association's became the first Indian to win a silver medal at an international event.



Not starting as the favourite to be in the final, Bhavina upset many seeded players on her way to the final where she lost to the local girl and top-seed Zhang Miao of China 6-11, 9-11, 2-11.



Bhavina got the better of second-seeded Ji Nam Jun from Korea 3-1 (11-6, 9-11, 11-7, 11-9) and then removed Taipei's Ya Chu Lee 11-2, 11-8, 11-6 in the quarterfinals.



"I'm happy I could come this far in my maiden appearance. I would have loved to win the gold, but I cannot complain. I lost to the top-seeded and a better player," an elated Bhavina said.



"It is my first trip to Beijing and am thoroughly enjoying the limelight," she added.



Source : TOI , 27th October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment