Translate The Content in Your Local Language

Saturday 26 September 2015

Disability aside, this 21-year-old spends her free time teaching underprivileged kids


  • Diksha Dinde teaches underprivileged kids every weekend, despite her disability to walk.
    Diksha Dinde teaches underprivileged kids every weekend, despite her disability to walk.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Physically challenged by birth, Diksha Dinde, 21, has been setting a fine example for her fellow peers by teaching underprivileged students at a community school, 'Bal Bhavan.'

Dinde got associated with Bal Bhavan three years back as a teacher for children between 5 to 15 years. She takes weekend classes for the children and conducts activity based learning for them along with volunteers of an NGO. 

As a child, Dinde was rejected by a city based school due to her disability in walking. She had then joined a municipal run school till 7th standard.

Knowing well about the shortfalls in a government school and learning from her experience, she designs her teaching for the community school kids accordingly. "I have completed my studies in a municipal school. It was only after I scored well in boards that I got a good college to complete my graduation. Usually, children studying in municipal schools do not get trained in English, basic manners, etiquettes and gender sensitivity," said Dinde.



"It is a little tiring but teaching these kids have helped me learn as well," said Dinde.


Despite being physically challenged, Dinde’s spirit to make a difference in the society gives her the energy to keep going. "I travel behind my mother or other volunteers to ‘Bal Bhavan’ to spend a few hours there. It is a little tiring but teaching these kids have helped me learn as well. I have observed a change in the way I look at life. These kids go through a lot of hardships. They taught me that it is always better to smile for what you have, rather than crave for what you don’t," she said.

Dinde feels that it is the duty of today's young generation to encourage education and impart knowledge to all. "All these kids have the ability but lack opportunities. These unfortunate kids need be taught morals and ethics. The more they learn, the lesser are the chances of them joining the drug addicts and alcoholics breeding in their area," she added. Dinde, now preparing for competitive exams, is on a break from teaching at Bal Bhavan, but will re-join soon.




Source : I am in DNA of Pune , 25th Sep 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment